02 March 2017

Stardate 2017.167




Yet, Another Spring-Like Day In Waterton Canyon

We have snakes here. I know this because I'm part reptile. Soon the snakes will be peeking their heads out into warmer weather. We have the standard water and garter snakes. We have bull snakes, which get quite large, I might add. We also have two varieties of rattlesnake, the prairie rattler and the massasauga. I think the sign primarily pertains to rattlers.

Start rant. Denver Water and other service companies are the only people allowed to drive in Waterton Canyon. Yes, they do run over rattlesnakes. I've seen the tire tracks center-punch a rattler well to the side of the road. If you're scared of what's out there, just stay in the city. End rant! Oh, almost end of rant. The sign in the title photo is far above ground because the original sign, which was at eye level, seemed to have grown legs and disappeared. Now I'm done ranting.

I was in shorts and sleeveless shirt today. The South Platte River was shedding its winter attire as well. March snows most certainly lurk, and local trails will yet clog with snow.



From Strontia Springs Reservoir (Waterton Canyon), I rode the long western ridge of Trail 800 that separates Bear Creek from Stevens Gulch. I dropped down to the intersection of Trail 800 and Stevens Gulch. I then backtracked out of the Waterton area.




Snack-time and yet another plug for the Giant Bicycle company.




Trail 800 travels through lodgepole (Pinus contorta) and ponderosa (Pinus ponderosa) pine forest.




Ridge-run'n with Turkshead Peak (app. 7,700 feet) dominating the view in the background.




It will be awhile before the oak brush produces any green.




The End

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...