07 February 2015

Stardate 2015.104



Top O' The Day To Ya!

Spring-like temperatures adorn this region again. It's time to pull on some SHORTS and take a bike for a roll. I pointed the bike toward Deer Creek Canyon for a nice little climb. Icy conditions are abating and most of the road is dry of runoff. No cold, wet butt cheeks today.


Four more turns deposits you in the small hamlet Critchell, several miles yet, from the top.  Yes, I stopped on a hill,  but only for some blog fodder.

I stopped toward the top of High Grade Road to shoot a photo. In four more turns, I will be in the small hamlet of Critchell. Good, my legs could use a short breather. However, I still have several miles to the top. Yes, I stopped on a hill, but only for some blog fodder — seriously!


The snow was melting fast on top.

Despite clouds drifting in, it is very warm for February, even at an elevation of 8,500 feet. On top, the snow is rapidly melting.


One had to watch the sand on the descent.

The descent requires a little care. There is a lot of sand on the road, and the curves are kind of exciting.


Looking east down the steepest part of High Grade Road.  This short segment is probably 12- to 15-percent grade.

I ease up on the gas while descending the steepest part of High Grade Road. Once again, lots of sand lions hanging about. This short segment is probably 12- to 15-percent grade.


It's a delightful cruise down Deer Creek.

It is a delightful cruise down Deer Creek, especially since the sun is shooing away the clouds.


Heading east through the hogback portal onto the plains.

When I reached the bottom and shed a layer, I took this photo of the hogback portal onto the plains.


This is my favorite cottonwood on this route.  In the summer, its shade is oh so inviting.

This is my favorite cottonwood tree on this route. In the summer, its shade is very inviting.


That's it for now. See ya soon!
Adios

2 comments:

  1. Shorts? Already? It's been a weird winter here too, but we are nowhere near shorts weather.

    Sand on the road gives me the willies. Especially on downhill curves. Glad you made it safely to the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to climb the Canyon with you last weekend, especially in shorts in February! Hope for a repeat or two this weekend, and maybe I can make it to the top next time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...