17 December 2014

Stardate 2014.962

Deer Creek Canyon Mountain Park

Autumn Bliss Continues

It's December 11th, and I'm still riding in shorts. Temperatures are supposed to reach the mid-sixties today. In honor of the sun's warmth, I'm going to take the Black Pearl out for a jaunt at Deer Creek Canyon Park.


Deer Creek Canyon Mountain Park

After some zigging and zagging through sun-lit oak brush, the canyon is entered, where much of its lower reaches catch zero sun. The canyon walls of Plymouth Creek are too steep for the sun to share any rays down low. In the shade, the temps are a bit icy. At the moment, I'm doing more ice portaging than pedaling. I think I'm inventing a new sport known as – push-a-bike. Oh wait, cyclo-cross already exists. Just kidding fans of mud riding; I like cyclo-cross.


Deer Creek Canyon Mountain Park

I have not ridden these trails for a while. I have forgotten how technical some segments of Plymouth Creek are. I'm always whining about how I've lost some of my technical skills. I blame it on too much time on the road bike and age. I think if I incorporate this area into my ride schedule, a lot of my tech skills will re-emerge. In other words, I won't have an excuse to whine when an itty bitty rock jumps out in front of me.


Denver's almost perpetual smog layer engulfs the city in grime.

After the short, steep and rough climb, I turn south on the Plymouth Mountain Trail for several miles of delightful single-track riding. Soon, I was rewarded with the above view. Sheeesh, I hate cities. Look at that crap; you could cut it with a butter knife. It's things like this that make me appreciate growing up on the west side of Colorado.


Deer Creek Canyon Mountain Park

But then, the enchanting single-track makes things all better.


Deer Creek Canyon Mountain Park

In time, the trail ends on an old logging road. After descending Plymouth Creek Trail a short distance, I immediately ascend toward the Red Mesa Loop. Red Mesa Loop has quaint little meadows scattered about, some still holding snow.


Deer Creek Canyon Mountain Park

The snow is just a harbinger of things to come.


Deer Creek Canyon Mountain Park

Shadows overtake me, and I feel the onset of evening on my legs. Oh, did I mention that I'm in shorts again?


Deer Creek Canyon Mountain Park

Back down in sunless Plymouth Creek, I begin working my way down the technical segments, the ice adding to the technical level, even when walking.


Deer Creek Canyon Mountain Park

Some of the Plymouth Creek Trail looks similar to the above. However, once on top, the single-track is pretty nice to ride.

Adios

1 comment:

  1. I remember the trek down that last gully in the last photo; that was back when I was still walking pretty darned slow. It would be fun to venture up there again. But I doubt I could mountain bike it...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...