27 July 2015

Stardate 2015.570

Dillon Pinnacles, Blue Mesa Reservoir, Curecanti National Recreation Area, Colorado Curecanti = Kur eh can tee

More Crested Butte

After a somewhat wet Day One, we retired for the evening along the shore of Blue Mesa Reservoir and listened to the waves caress the shoreline throughout the night. For Day Two, we headed back up toward Crested Butte via Ohio Creek and Ohio Creek Pass.


Anthracite Range, Colorado

When we arrived at the base of the pass, the Anthracite Mountains were still enshrouded in overnight mystique.


Flower infested meadow provides color at the Swampy Trailhead, Ohio Creek, Colorado

The flower-bathed meadow at the Swampy Trailhead was awash in yellow.


Hill slope at the Swampy Trailhead, Ohio Creek, Colorado

Remember, a flowery hill slope is a happy hill slope.


GoldeneyeHeliomeris multifloraAster family

Goldeneye
Heliomeris multiflora
Aster family


Yellow Paintbrush Castilleja sulphurea Figwort family This species can have a while color variation. The actual flower is hidden within the colored bracts.

Yellow Paintbrush
Castilleja sulphurea
Figwort family
This species can have a while color variation.
The actual flower is hidden within the colored bracts.


Coral Root Corallorhiza maculate Orchid family This is a very shy orchid

Coral Root
Corallorhiza maculate
Orchid family
This is a very shy orchid.


Orange SneezeweedDugaldia hoopesiiAster family

Orange Sneezeweed
Dugaldia hoopesii
Aster family


Sticky Geranium Geranium viscosissimum Geranium family

Sticky Geranium
Geranium viscosissimum
Geranium family


Backcountry livestock staging area corrals, Ohio Creek, Colorado

Backcountry livestock staging area corrals, Ohio Creek, Colorado

The above two pics are of backcountry and livestock staging area corrals at the Swampy Trailhead. I think the bent upper rails are to ease in throwing heavy bales of hay into the corrals. If the corrals are full, it would be easy to get squished while feeding from the inside.

I had a unique bonding experience with these corrals on that day. I was filming the fields of flowers with my video camera, just moseying through the grass and flowers. The plant life was waist- to chest-high and I couldn't see my feet very well. Slowly moving, concentrating on keeping the camera still, I faintly noticed the tail of a snake in front of me. No big deal. Without looking, I conveniently stepped up onto a small log to go around the stealthy reptile. Well, as I stepped onto the log, I jumped clean out of my skin and exited as fast as I could! The log was covered with serpents sunning themselves! As soon as they felt the log tip, they began writhing hypnotically and slithering around! The rest was all reflex and a few colorful words! Snowcatcher caught the moment on film, too, and it's hilarious. My camera was still recording as well. I think the trailhead should be renamed Serpents' Lair. What do you think?



More Day Two is on the way!

Adios

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my!!! The flowers don't get any better than this, but I guess it will be quite a while before we walk through deep grass again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, I was hoping to hear the colourful words....

    Spectacular flowers, and thanks for identifying them. (Otherwise you know I would have been asking what they were.)

    So glad the snakes didn't bite anyone.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...