12 November 2015

Stardate 2015.866


We're Baaa-aaack!!

A big change in the weather was forecast for the next few days. Forecasters were predicting 2 to 6 inches of snow overnight. This would be our first measurable snow for the season. I had planned on riding before the storm after taking care of some errands. Unexpectedly, my return was rewarded with the following spectacle.


What a mess. 90 Shilling bubbled down Dieter's chin while Wolfgang slurred an old Beach Boys tune – I think. It was something along the lines of...

...Well East Coast girls are hip
I really dig those styles they wear
And the Southern girls with the way they talk
They knock me out when I'm down there

I wish they all could be Dieter and Wolfgang
I wish they all could be Dieter and Wolfgang
I wish they all could be Dieter and Wolfgang girls

"Well, well, look who showed up! You two are no better than an old farm cat who makes an appearance each year at the first sign of winter," I chided. "Where have the two of you been?"

"North Carolina," wheezed Wolfgang.

"We've been doing bicycle-related physiology research at North Carolina State, Duke and the University of North Carolina," explained Dieter.

"All three?" I prodded.

"Those are highly rated research schools. So you've emigrated east to become tar heels?" I asked. "Albeit tar head would be more apropos.

"Well, it's kind of nice to see you two again. I have a ride planned, so let's ride, and you can tell me all about your research. I hope you're not too hung-over to ride, are you? By the way, stay away from any Friday night spinster dances for a while. Your reputations still precede you. Oh, and thanks for polishing off what would have been a delightful after-ride beverage," I mused.

Following are some pics of our ride on the eve of the year's first snow. The mad Bavarians easily kept pace with the Pearl.




The Bavarians easily hop from rock to rock.




Both Bavarians admiring veins of pink feldspar embedded in the rock.




There isn't much these two can't ride, especially for their size.




These guys wrote the book on backcountry oak riding.



In my opinion, they earned the beverages they had already downed. It was nice to ride with them again. Moreover, their research sounded like it may become ground-breaking – time will tell the tale. Overnight, the weather gods deposited 4.5 inches of snow. Wolfgang and Dieter didn't miss a beat and were out in the cold by first light.





And the saga continues. Thanks for reading, and occasionally check back for new adventures.

Adios

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...